About the Seal
Shield, derived form the Seal of Ilocos Norte
Infastructure, depicts the Municipal Hall of Pinili
Forest Trees and Verdant Fields, on both sides of the Municipal Hall, symbolize the rich natural resources of the town
Park, represents the Municipal Park of Pinili; it also represents one of the tourist spots of the municipality
Rice Stalks and Corn, represent the primary agricultural cash crops of the people towards self-sufficiency
Green, represents the color of the municipality that stands for progress of the community
Pinili is bounded on the southwest by the town of Badoc; on the north of Batac; on the northwest by Currimao; and on the east by Nueva Era. It is the terminal town on the southern tip of the province and 38 kilometers from Laoag City. It has a land area of 89.48 square kilometres, with a population of about 14, 817 in 1995. It is one of the youngest and smallest town of the Province of Ilocos Norte.
Historically, the town of Pinili was used as training ground of the Sandatahans led by Bishop gregorio Aglipay, the founder of the Aglipayan Church, who used his influence as a Catholic priest to prevent the execution of the Filipinos at the height of the Filipino-American War. Pinili, which means selected, was chosen as the name of the town because it was here that Bishop Aglipay constructed his hideout as a last ditch effort to foght the aggressors.
On November 28, 1919, the petition of 1,180 residents was elevated to the Governor-General to established Pinili as a town through the help of Bishop Aglipay and the endorsement of the Provincial Council. Likewise, local leaders also negotiated for the establishment of a Philippine Independent Churc, cemetery and school for lower grades. Finally, Pinili was established as a town on January 1, 1920 by virtue of an Executive Order which was signed on December 20, 1919. The first mass of the Philippine Independent Church was celebrated here by Supreme Bishop Gregorio Aglipay.
Following the establishment of the Aglipayan Church in 1804, other denominations took root, namely the United Church of Christ (Iglesia ni Cristo) in 1910, Aglipay Memorial Church and the Seventh day Adventist in 1956.
As a whole, Pinili is an agricultural town. Garlic, tobacco and vegetables are the major crops. It is also worth mentioning that the town has deposits of uranium in the barangays of Cabaruan, Buanga, Sto. Tomas and Liliputan.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.