Why invest in Ilocos Norte?
- Strategic location, with close access to Northern Asian Economies
Situated at the northernmost part of Luzon, Ilocos Norte is poised to be a major trade hub that will link North and Central Luzon to major Asian economies north of Philippines such as Taiwan, China, Hongkong, Japan, and South Korea. Its proximity to China, the second largest economy of the world, makes the province an excellent springboard and gateway for logistics.
- Power quality and reliability of supply
With a 264-MW installed wind energy capacity by 2015, Ilocos Norte is the undisputed wind energy capital of the Philippines hosting the most number of wind turbines, thus ensuring the supply of quality and reliable power to industries. The Department of Energy has also approved wind projects with a potential energy capacity of 329 MW.
- Powerhouse of foreign remittance inflows
With an estimated PHP 18B foreign remittance inflow to Ilocos Norte, the province is an excellent source of capital. Remittances have afforded greater spending power among Ilocanos and have paved the way for businesses both small and large to flourish.
- All-weather road network, with 400-km National Road and 600-km Provincial Road
- Intermodal Transport delivers access to the province via Laoag International Airport, Currimao Seaport, and various bus lines
Laoag International Airport’s daily flight routes bring Ilocos Norte closer to Manila and the world. Flights are provided by the country’s leading air carriers – Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific – reaching the province is now more convenient than ever.
The Currimao seaport also serves a vital role in shipping and receiving goods in and out of the province.
- Robust telecoms network for high-speed communications
Ilocos Norte has been installed with Domestic Fiber Optic Network (DFON) and it is equipped with redundant and fortified lines, which ensure fast and reliable telecommunications network.
- Highly skilled and educated manpower
The Ilocanos’ regard for quality education is evident in the 99% provincial literacy rate. Globally-competitive schools engaged in higher learning, including technical and vocational courses assure the steady supply of competent and industrious human resources.
- Excellent Peace and Order and 100% insurgency-free
Ilocos Norte is the most peaceful province in Northern Luzon. Crime clearance stands at 73%, solution at its highest at 59%. The friendly and God-fearing populace, coupled with the country’s finest police force, transforms the province into a safe place ideal for investors who pursue optimum returns and a good quality of life.
- Disaster-ready through pro-active local government leadership
To disaster-proof the province, Ilocos Norte launched a Provincial Resiliency Council that has broadened and deepened involvement of all sectors. Initiatives are in place such as prepositioned food, heavy equipment and medicines in newly-refurbished evacuation centers.
The province is also endowed with natural defense barriers against weather disturbances. Two mountain ranges east of the Ilocos Norte mitigate the impact of typhoons coming from the Pacific Ocean. Storm surges from the west, if there are any, are cushioned by the Laoag and Paoay Sand Dunes – the only sand dunes found in the country.
Preferred Investment Areas
- Post Harvest Facilities
- High-Value Crop Production
- Fruit/Meat Processing
- Feed Mill
- Heritage Crafts
- Accommodation Facilities
- Nature Parks/Mountain Resort
- Transportation Services
- Golf Course
- Restaurants/Food Outlets
- Retirement and Medical Tourism
- Other Tourism-Related Services
- Small-Scale Mining
- Large-Scale Mining
- Wind Power
- Solar Energy
- Information and Communications Technology
- Business Process Outsourcing
- Medical Services/Facilities
- Financial Services
- Engineering/Architectural Services
- Training and Sports Facilities
- Human Resource Development i.e. as training facilities, educational institutions, etc.